Us

Us

Friday, July 16, 2010

SHARING SESSION

I had a very brief sharing session with my boss yesrterday morning. We talked about family, his vacation to Singapore's Universal Studio and works thingy. My boss is a happy and easy going person, a book lover and a brilliant person he is, he always love to share anything new he read from the book. He’s married with two kids, a boy and a gurl, Arif and Rania.

There are few tips of course he highlighted to be to be more successful in life. I just want to share and hopefully it is helpful to you as it does to me.

Have your own career road map. He said Look at the bigger picture of your career path. Always forecast on where you want to finish. Well, it reminds me of Stephen Covey 7 Habits of Highly Effective people which is to begin with an end in mind. My boss indeed is a very smart man, and I immediately agree with him. Hahahha. I can feel like there was a force from somewhere asking me to agree on whatever he said this morning. As in simple word, what he meant is to determine where you want to finish. Then try to plan it backwards. One closest example is to use our former Director General Tan Sri Ismail Adam’s Model of Excellence.

My boss always mentioned to me that he likes to explore new things and that is why he loves to work in the organization the maximum of two years. This leads me to the second point to ponder which is to update your resume frequently. Just to challenge and motivate ourselves, try to apply for a job out there to see your potential or to be precise to check how much you worth as at now. He stressed so much for me to be creative and always challenge myself: not to feel secured in whatever you have today. It is a mean world out there.

Then he pointed out to me on why people can’t reach their maximum potential. The first one is because of laziness and the second one is because of the fear. People who unleashes their true potential is often a hardworking person, so for some of us, new initiatives need more sacrifice, more time consumed, more energy used. Or else, we fear the initiatives we plan is going to fail, thus, we chose to sit back.

Hence, he mentioned to me The 5 Minds for the Future (Howard Gardner). Those 5 are The Disciplined Mind, The Synthesizing Mind, The Creating Mind, The Respectful Mind and The Ethical Mind. I haven’t had time to read about it yet. But I’ll try ASAP…: p

He also advised me to manage my family well. Finding a balance between family and career as well as to check on how far I want to go without neglecting my family is no nonsense. After so much of thinking, I somehow feel that I need to sacrifice either one. Up till now, I choose my family over my career.

So in the end, he left me with an example of water in a cup and on a saucer. So Asrida, you need to think wisely which one you want to be…




P/S: Credit to my boss Encik Mohd Azlan bin Zaharudin and I wish u all the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...